- Oakley GP Jr. Folic acid preventable spina bifida
and anencephaly. JAMA 1993; 269: 1292-93.
- Pearce HR, Smith NA, Fox EF, Bingham JS. Periconceptional
folic acid: knowledge amongst patients and health care workers in a
London teaching hospital. Bri J Fam Plann 1996; 22: 20-21.
- Forman R, Singal N, Perelman V, et al. Folic
acid and prevention of neural tube defects: a study of Canadian mothers
of infants with spina bifida. Clin Invest Med 1996; 19: 195-201.
- Morin VI, Mondor M, Wilson RD. Knowledge on periconceptional
use of folic acid in women of British Columbia. Fetal Diagn Ther
2001; 16: 111-15.
- Perelman V, Singal N, Einarson A, et al. Knowledge
and practice by Canadian family physicians regarding periconceptional
folic acid supplementation for the prevention of neural tube defects. Can
J Clin Pharmacol 1996; 3: 145-8.
- Koren G. Periconception folic acid supplementation. Can
Fam Physician 1997; 43: 851-52.
- Gallup Poll. Gallup Organization/ March of Dimes: Preparing
for pregnancy II. March of Dimes, Birth Defects Foundation, 1997.
- Health Canada. Summary report: National
Workshop on the Primary Prevention of Neural Tube Defects. December,
- Health Canada. Nutrition for a healthy pregnancy:
national guidelines for the childbearing years. Ottawa: Minister
of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 1999.
- Health Canada. Canada's
food guide to healthy eating.
- Wilson RD, Van Allen MI. The use of folic acid
for prevention of neural tube defects. J Soc Obstet Gynaecol Can
1993; 15 (March suppl): 41-6.
- Van Allen MI, Fraser FC, Dallaire L, et al. Recommendations
on the use of folic acid supplementation to prevent the recurrence
of neural tube defects. Can Med Assoc J 1993; 149: 1239-43.
- Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) Statement. Periconceptional
use of folic acid for reduction of the risk of neural tube defects. Paediatr
Child Health 1997; 2: 152-54.
- CTFPHE (Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health
Examination). Periodic health examination, 1994 update: 3. Primary
and secondary prevention of neural tube defects. Can Med Assoc J
1994; 151: 159-66.
- Liu S, Joseph KS, Kramer MS, Allen AC, Sauve R,
Rusen ID, Wen SW for the Fetal and Infant Health Study Group of the Canadian
Perinatal Surveillance System. Relationship of prenatal diagnosis
and pregnancy termination to overall infant mortality in Canada. JAMA
2002 (in press).
- Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) Statement. The
child with multiple impairments. Paediatr Child Health 2000; 5:
- Shurtleff DB, Luthy DA, Nyberg DA, et al. Meningomyelocele:
management in utero and post natum. Ciba Found Symp 1994; 181:
- Little J, Elwood JM, eds. Epidemiology and
control of neural tube defects. Vol 20 of Monograph in Epidemiology
and Biostatistics. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Health Canada. Canadian perinatal health report
2000. Ottawa: Minister of Public Works and Government Services
- Baird PA. Neural tube defects in the Sikhs. Am
J Med Genet 1983; 16: 49-56.
- Hall JG, Friedman JM, Kenna BA et al. Clinical,
genetic, and epidemiological factors in neural tube defects. Am
J Hum Genet 1988; 43: 827-37.
- Chambers K, Popkin J, Arnold W, et al. Neural
tube defects in British Columbia. Lancet 1994; 343: 489-90.
- Berry RJ, Li Z, Erickson JD, et al. Preventing
neuraltube defects with folic acid in China. N Engl J Med 1999;
- Hunt GM. The median survival time in open spina
bifida. Dev Med Child Neurol 1997; 39: 568.
- Cochrane DD, Wilson RD, Steinbok P, et al. Prenatal
spinal evaluation and functional outcome of patients born with myelomeningocele:
information for improved prenatal counselling and outcome prediction. Fetal
Diagn Ther 1996; 11: 159-68.
- Zurmohle UM, Homann T, Schroeter C et al. Psychosocial
adjustment of children with spina bifida. J Child Neurol 1998;
13( 2): 64-70.
- Date I, Yagyu Y, Asari S, Ohmoto T. Longterm
outcome in surgically treated spina bifida cystica. Surg Neurol
1993; 40: 471-5.
- Rauen KK, Aubert EJ. A brighter future for
adults who have myelomeningocele – one form of spina bifida. Orthop
Nurs 1992; 11( 3): 16-26.
- Tosi LL, Detsky AS, Roye DP, Morden ML. When
does mass screening for open neural tube defects in low-risk pregnancies
result in cost savings? Can Med Assoc J 1987; 136: 255-65.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Economic
burden of spina bifida – United States 1980– 1990. MMWR
1989; 38: 2664-67.
- Waltzman NJ, Romano PS, Scheffler RM. Estimates
of the economic costs of birth defects Inquiry 1994; 31: 188-205.
- Wasserman CR, Shaw GM, Selvin S, et al. Socioeconomic
status, neighborhood social conditions, and neural tube defects. Am
J Public Health 1998; 88: 1674-80.
- Czeizel AE. Reduction of urinary tract and
cardiovascular defects by periconceptional multivitamin supplementation. Am
J Med Genet 1996; 62: 179-83.
- Shaw GM, O'Malley CD, Wasserman CR, et al. Maternal
periconceptional use of multivitamins and reduced risk for conotruncal
heart defects and limb deficiencies among offspring. Am J Med Genet
1995; 59: 536-45.
- Botto LD, Moore CA, Khoury MJ, Erickson JD. Medical
progress: neural-tube defects. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1509-19.
- Li D-K, Daling JR, Mueller BA. Periconceptional
multivitamin use in relation to the risk of congenital urinary tract
anomalies. Epidemiology 1995; 6: 212-18.
- Hayes C, Werler MM, Willett WC, et al. Case-control
study of periconceptional folic acid supplementation and oral clefts. Am
J Epidemiol 1996; 143: 1229-34.
- Tolarova M, Harris J. Reduced recurrence of
orofacial clefts after periconceptional supplementation with high-dose
folic acid and multivitamins. Teratology 1995; 51: 71-8.
- Willett WC and Stampfer MJ. What vitamins should
I be taking, doctor? N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1819-24.
- Bailey LB, Moyers S, Gregory JF III. Folate, Chapter
21, in Present knowledge in nutrition. 8th edition, eds. BA Bowman
and RM Russell, Washington, DC: ILSI Press, 2001.
- Teratology Society. Teratology Society position
paper: recommendations for vitamin use during pregnancy. Teratology
1987; 35: 269-75.
- Lindenbaum J, Irwin H. Rosenberg, Peter WF Wilson,
Sally P. Stabler, and Robert H. Allen. Prevalence of cobalamin deficiency
in the Framingham elderly population, Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 60: 2-11.
- Health Canada. Family-centred maternity and
newborn care: national guidelines. 4 th edition. Ottawa: Minister
of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2000.
- Becerra JE, Khoury MJ, Cordero JF, Erickson JD. Diabetes
mellitus during pregnancy and the risks for specific birth defects:
a population-based case-control study. Pediatrics 1990; 85: 1-9.
- Werler MM, Shapiro S, Mitchell AA. Prepregnant
weight in relation to risk of occurrent neural tube defects. JAMA
1996; 275: 1089-92.
- Watkins ML, Scanlon KS, Mulinare J, Khoury MJ. Is
maternal obesity a risk factor for anencephaly and spina bifida? Epidemiology
1996; 7: 507-12.
- Waller DK, Mills JL, Simpson JL, et al. Are
obese women at higher risk for producing malformed off-spring? Am
J Obstet Gynecol 1994; 170: 541-8.
- Kirke PN, Molloy AM, Daly LE, Burke H, Weir DG,
Scott JM. 1993. Maternal plasma folate and vitamin B12 are independent
risk factors for neural tube defects. Quart J Med 86: 703-708.
- Van Allen MI, Kalousek DK, Chernoff GF, et al. Evidence
for multi-site closure of the neural tube in humans. Am J Med Genetics
1993; 47: 723-43.
- MRC Vitamin Study Research Group. Prevention
of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council vitamin
study. Lancet 1991; 338: 131-7.
- Alberta Health and Wellness. Alberta Congenital
Anomalies Surveillance System, 5 th report, 1980-98. Alberta Health
and Wellness, December 2001.
- National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine,
Food and Nutrition Board. Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation
of Dietary Reference Intakes. Approved draft report on folate, other
B vitamins and choline. Washington, D. C.: Institute of Medicine,
National Academy of Sciences, 1998.
- Honein MA, Paulozzi LJ, Mathews TJ, Erickson JD,
Wong L-Y C. Impact of folic acid fortification of the US food supply
on the occurrence of neural tube defects. JAMA 2001; 285: 2981-86.
- Lumley J, Watson L, Watson M, Bower C. Modelling
the potential impact of population-wide periconceptional folate/ multivitamin
supplementation on multiple births. Brit J Obst Gynaecol 2001;
- Wang H, Berry BJ, Li Z, Gindler J, Correa A, Wong
LY, Wang Y. Multiple births among women who took folic acid during
early pregnancy – Sino-U. S. NTD Project. Society for Pediatric
and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research. 14 th Annual Meeting, June 12-13,
2001. Page 11 (abstract).
- Laurence KM, James N, Miller MH, et al. Double-blind
randomised controlled trial of folate treatment before conception to
prevent recurrence of neural-tube defects. BMJ 1981; 282: 1509-11.
- Smithells RW, Nevin NC, Seller MJ, et al. Further
experience of vitamin supplementation for prevention of neural tube
defect recurrences. Lancet 1983; 1: 1027-31.
- Mulinare J, Cordero JF, Erickson JD, Berry RJ. Periconceptional
use of multivitamins and the occurrence of neural tube defects. JAMA
1988; 260: 3141-5.
- Bower C, Stanley FJ. Dietary folate as a risk
factor for neuraltube defects: evidence from a case-control study in
western Australia. Med J Aust 1989; 150: 613-9.
- Mills JL, Rhoads GG, Simpson JL, et al. The
absence of a relation between the periconceptional use of vitamins
and neural-tube defects. N Engl J Med 1989; 321: 430-5.
- Milunsky A, Jick H, Jick SS, et al. Multivitamin/
folic acid supplementation in early pregnancy reduces the prevalence
of neural tube defects. JAMA 1989; 262: 2847-52.
- Vergel RG, Sanchez LR, Heredero BL, et al. Primary
prevention of neural tube defects with folic acid supplementation:
Cuban experience. Prenat Diagn 1990; 10: 149-52.
- Czeizel AE, Dudas I. Prevention of the first
occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. N
Engl J Med 1992; 327: 1832-5.
- Kirke PN, Daly LE, Elwood JH. A randomized
trial of low-dose folic acid to prevent neural tube defects. Arch
Dis Child 1992; 67: 1442-46.
- Werler MM, Shapiro S, Mitchell AA. Periconceptional
folic acid exposure and risk of occurrent neural tube defects. JAMA
1993; 269: 1257-61.
- Shaw GM, Schaffer D, Velie EM, et al. Periconceptional
vitamin use, dietary folate, and the occurrence of neural tube defects. Epidemiology
1995; 6: 219-26.
Table of Contents | Appendix