How To Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
Every day we make choices that affect our health. Take these important five steps to make your lifestyle healthier and to start to prevent or reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, and pre-diabetes:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Include a good balance of activity and healthy diet
- Talk to your healthcare provider about what a healthy weight is for you
- Learn how to calculate your Body Mass Index
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Eat a diet with lots of variety
- Eat 5 to 10 fruits and vegetables a day.
(Canada’s Food Guide )
- Eat more fibre
- Eat less fat and salt
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink
- Select appropriate portion sizes
- Ensure regular physical activity
- Don't smoke
- If you smoke, it's never too late to quit
- Avoid second-hand smoke
- Keep your health in check
- Get enough sleep and rest
- Be active - physical activity is a great way to reduce stress
- Manage high blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose
If You Already Have Diabetes
Living a healthy lifestyle is also very important in preventing or delaying diabetes complications.
Also visit the Living with Diabetes section.
Adapted from material prepared by the Canadian Diabetes Association. This FAQ appeared originally on the Canadian Health Network Web site and has been edited for publication by the Public Health Agency of Canada.